Monday, September 23, 2013

Bates Motel Comic/Cartoon (Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore, Max Thieriot, Olivia Cooke)

Who watches the totally creepy and wonderful Bates Motel on A&E? My sister and I sure do! I thought the cast of the show and the totally spooky Bates home would make an excellent pre-Halloween cartoon. Bates Motel is a re-imagining of the Norman Bates books by Robert Bloch and the Hitchcock film Psycho. The show is about a teenage Norman Bates (Freddie Highmore), his troubled mother Norma (the brilliant Vera Farmiga), and his bad ass brother, Dylan (Max Thieriot). My favourite Norma Bates quote: "Why do crazy people keep gravitating towards me?"

This first started off as a simple cartoon of Dylan, Norman and Norma, but soon spiralled out of control into an homage to 1960s movie posters (e.g. those by Robert McGinnis and Bob Peak) and an experimentation with different line art and colouring styles. I was also going for a bit of a narrative, comic book feel for the bottom half of the image. Hope you like it and happy early Halloween!



Picture from: http://flicksandthecity.com/