Thursday, April 18, 2013

Hal Yorke (Damien Molony) from Being Human Cartoon/Drawing

I've been reading ImagineFX (which is an excellent British sci-fi/fantasy illustration magazine) a lot lately rather than actually drawing. Now that I'm on a short break between semesters, I thought I'd experiment with some of the tips from the magazine and try out the textured brush sets I downloaded from it. I decided to drawn this photo of Lord Henry Yorke (aka Hal, as played by Damien Molony) from the excellent show Being Human, since it had a bit of a fantasy vibe to it. (I think this is my third time drawing a character from Being Human, ha). I've also been reading Dinotopia creator James Gurney's fantasy art books lately and toyed with the idea of drawing a dinosaur in the left corner in tribute, but ultimately rejected the idea. Maybe I'll do that for my next experiment (Jessie J and a Brontosaurus?). Picture by Huw John for the BBC. Found on SFX


4 comments:

Matt said...

Looks great! Did you use a different technique for this? It has a little bit more depth (if that's the right word) to it.

Jamie McCarthy said...

Thanks Matt! I was trying for a more realistic approach, but I don't really think it's my best work. The colour scheme is a bit darker than usual. Plus the brushes were more textured.

Iris said...

I don't know how I've missed seeing this drawing before. Just want to tell you it's fabulous. xxx

Jamie McCarthy said...

Aw, thanks so much, Iris!