Matt suggested I try drawing some baseball cards. Since Matt is a huge Blue Jays fan, I drew Josh Donaldson. I'm really happy with how this turned out and quite like the tiny action shot drawing in the bottom corner.
I picked up a cheap hockey colouring book for a kids "hockey crafts" program for work. I thought it would be funny to do an adult colouring book version. This is my first attempt at designing a colouring page (I'll probably colour it in myself in photoshop later). I think an adult hockey colouring book would be great for calming you down after your team loses (aka hockey sadness) or wins (aka hockey madness).
So if any one wants to try colouring it, I have uploaded a PDF version here. Send me a photo of your finished product and let me know what player you'd like to colour.
Happy New Year everyone!! Here is my annual reflection and goal post.
This blog turned ten in 2015, which means I've also now been using photoshop as my primary tool for roughy ten years - Crazy! My first digital art was created in MSPaint at the age of nine, though (I illustrated a book called "The Adventures of Ted and Teresa," which I wrote with some friends about two bears.) So what has been the biggest change over the last ten years in my art? Probably my drawing style -- I gradually shifted into a more realistic, comic book style and don't cartoon too much anymore. I also read up on the latest Photoshop features more.
So what are my drawing resolutions goals for 2016?
- Aim to do one drawing a month (I managed to do 10 out of 12 months this year).
- Try an adult colour book page or two
- Draw more of a variety of things (which will be a challenge as I barely have time to watch TV or read magazines anymore)
I'm really happy with how this drawing turned out! I just finished reading Mr Hockey and wanted to draw Gordie Howe as a result. For the hockey stick border, I was inspired by the 1911 Georges Vezina C55 hockey card.
- Made the header and colours match my tumblr (http://whatakerfuffle.tumblr.com/)
- Streamlined the sidebars (Got rid of the crazy Celebrity tags as there are way too many now)
- Removed the comments section (Tired of moderating spam everyday). Send me an email or leave a question in my ask box on tumblr.
This card checked off a few things I've been wanting to try out:
- Drawing a player in profile (not easy 'cause of the helmet)
- Drawing skates (not sure why I hadn't done that yet - the ice and laces were fun)
- Drawing a retro background
- DRAWING KYLE OKPOSO! (I'm a huge Islanders fan, obvs.)
Click on the photos for a larger version. I included some close ups of their faces, since the details get a little lost in the card.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is my favourite show from this year (I’ve taken to rewatching it just like I used to do with 30 Rock). I decided to return to a cartoon style for this one, since Ellie Kemper suits cartoons so well. For the background, I wanted it to look like their apartment, but also have an Eloise vibe.
Can I just say Tituss Burgess (who plays Titus) is the best singer ever?
Hockey Trading Card #4 is complete! This time I drew the awesome Erik Karlsson from the Ottawa Senators. The drawing took about three days and the card border took almost two days (I listened to the Sens psych up song from 30 Rock before getting started). Reference photo found on Pinterest.